Hello everyone. Hope you all are fine and in the best of your health to fight Covid – 19. Today , I would like to highlight the importance of hydration to remain fit and healthy .We all know that 2/3 of our body consists of water. Our body uses water in all the cells, tissues and organs to help regulate the temperature and maintain other bodily functions. Because our body loses water through breathing, sweating and digestion, it is very important to rehydrate by drinking fluids and eating foods that contain water. Thus water is a very major constituent of our body and it plays a very vital role in keeping us healthy and active to perform vital functions of the body. Therefore it is very necessary to take care of our daily water intake. Today I would like to share 10 very important reasons to drink enough water everyday…
- Regulation of body temperature..Staying hydrated is very crucial to maintain our body temperature. Our body loses water through sweat during physical activity and in hot environments. Our sweat keeps our body cool but our body temperature will rise if we do not replenish the water we have lost. That is because our body loses electrolytes and plasma when it is dehydrated.So if we are sweating more than usual,we should make sure to drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration.
2. Lubrication (protects tissues,spinal cord and joints)..Water consumption helps lubricate and cushion our joints,spinal cord and tissues. This will help us enjoy our physical activity and lessen discomfort caused by conditions like arthritis.
3. Excrete Toxins (through perspiration,urination and defecation)..Our body uses water to sweat , urinate and bowel movement. Sweat regulates body temperature when we are exercising or in warm temperature. We need water to replenish the lost fluid in the form of sweat. We also need enough water in our body for healthy stool formation and avoid constipation. Our kidneys also need adequate water to perform well and prevent formation of kidney stones.
4. Helps to create saliva..Water is the main component of saliva . Saliva also contains small amount of electrolytes,mucus and enzymes. Saliva is essential for breaking down solid food and keeping our mouth healthy. Our body produces enough saliva with regular fluid intake. In case our mouth is drier than usual and increasing water intake is not helping ,we must visit the doctor.
5. Helps in absorbing nutrients..Water also helps in absorbing vitamins, minerals and other nutrients from our food. It then delivers these vital components to the rest of the body to use for different purposes.
6. Improves blood circulation..Water carries helpful nutrients and oxygen to our entire body. Drinking adequate water daily will improve our blood circulation and have a positive impact on our overall health.
7.Helps maximise physical performance.. Drinking plenty of water during physical exercise is essential. Athletes may perspire upto 6-10 % of body water during physical activity. Proper hydration also affects our strength, power and endurance. Negative effects of exercise in the heat without enough water can include serious medical conditions like decreased blood pressure and hyperthermia. Extreme dehydration can cause seizures and even death. So one must drink adequate water especially during physical activity.
8. Helps improve mood..Dehydration results in fatigue and confusion as well as anxiety and irritability. Proper hydration helps in lifting our energy and mood to perform better in hot weather and condition.
9. Helps in cognitive function..Proper hydration helps in improving our focus, and alertness . Thus helps in performing better cognitive functions.
10. Helps fight illness..Drinking adequate water helps in preventing certain medical conditions such as ..Constipation , kidney stones , Exercise induced Asthma, urinary tract infections, Hypertension etc. Thus playing a very valuable role in keeping us healthy.
Now the big question is how much water we should drink everyday? …We get about 20% of our daily water intake from food we eat. Rest depends upon drinking water and water based beverages. Ideally men should consume about 3 litres of water and women around 2.5 litres everyday. We have to increase our hydration if we are exercising or living in a hotter region to avoid dehydration. We can assess our hydration including our thirst and colour of our urine. Feeling thirsty indicates our body is not receiving adequate hydration . If the colour of our urine is dark, it indicates dehydration.
Water is important to almost every part of our body and adequate water intake helps in improving our overall health. The best practice is to keep a water bottle with us wherever we go, keep track of our water intake and we can pace ourselves to approach half of our recommended dose of water by midday.
I hope this article is valuable to you and may help you in determining your intake of water and keep you in good mood and spirits. Please share your feedback and comments.